blender download and install >.< (for rendering)

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

danniellahill

blender download and install >.< (for rendering)

Post by danniellahill »

ok, well this might seem like a bit of a daft request thingy, but i wanna use blender to do some nice renders that i have seen people make around here and i was wondering if anyone would mind helpin a girl out here? xD

basically if possible, could i get a basic run through on what i need to do to download it and get it working? i do have Blender 2.49b aswell since i use it for modding xD so i would like to keep this aswell. so pretty much just need to know what to download, where to download (if possible) and what i need to do in the setup.

i did try downloading the latest blender but i cant get the bugger to open >.> i dunno if its lack of sleep or what but brains not functioning and i cant make it work! T^T

please help :) id really appreciate it :)

thanks in advance
FigureSculptor

Re: blender download and install >.< (for rendering)

Post by FigureSculptor »

I assume you're interested in the latest 2.6x version so you can use the new Cycles renderer. You can get some really stunning results with it, but it requires a new way of thinking about things. You'll probably want to go find some tutorials on creating Cycles materials, because it's nothing like doing it for the internal renderer used on 2.49b (and also available in 2.6+).

Getting the current version of Blender is actually pretty easy. Just go here: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/ and and download the appropriate version. For Windows, they provide installers that take care of basically everything for you.

You can have Blender 2.49b and 2.6x installed at the same time without any problems (just make sure you don't install them to the same directory). In fact, I usually have 3-4 versions. I keep 2.49b, the last 2.5 before BMesh, the current release version, a Freestyle build, and a bleeding edge trunk build.

Now, if you're looking to render nice looking characters, there's a feature in the nightly builds that's NOT in the the current release of Blender that you may be interested in. It's called subsurface scattering. This allows the renderer to simulate the way a small amount of light penetrates into other layers of the skin before being bounced back to the skin, and also simulates the effect of light shining through thin parts of the skin (look at the ears of somebody lit behind and you'll see this phenomenon that's referred to as "backscatter" by 3D artists - or, hold a flashlight up to your fingers and notice how some of the light makes it through).

If you want to use this feature, you'll need a more recent build than the one linked above. You can get the developer nightly builds here: http://builder.blender.org/download/. Note - these don't come with an installer, so they're a little less idiot-proof, but I've generally just been able to unzip and run them with little or no problems.

If your'e really adventurous you can build off Blender off of trunk (the current in-development version), which gives you the latest and greatest features as soon as they're available. It also means you're sometimes using an unstable piece of software. I don't necessarily recommend this for most people, but if your'e tech savvy and want to live on the cutting edge, you can read the instructions for building Blender yourself here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:D ... ng_Blender
danniellahill

Post by danniellahill »

ohh i see thanks :D that is really helpful :)

i tried before i posted this to install blender 2.66a, but it kept coming up with these errors ill try the better version which youve linked and see how that goes :)

**EDIT**

well tried it again and unzipped the folder, but it keeps coming up with the same error T^T
FigureSculptor

Post by FigureSculptor »

danniellahill wrote:ohh i see thanks :D that is really helpful :)
well tried it again and unzipped the folder, but it keeps coming up with the same error T^T
Have you tried using the installer rather than the zip? If you use the Zip, I think you have to manually install the correct version of Python and possibly other dependencies. The installer makes sure you have everything you need. i think.
FigureSculptor

Post by FigureSculptor »

danniellahill wrote:well tried it again and unzipped the folder, but it keeps coming up with the same error T^T
Instead of the zip verison, I would suggest using the installer version: http://www.blender.org/dl/http://ftp.nl ... dows64.exe

That makes sure you have everything you need, including the right version of Python. If you download the zip, then your'e responsible for making sure you've got a compatible version of Python installed on your system, and possibly other prerequisites as well. The installer version takes care of that for you, so is generally the best way to go on Windows.
danniellahill

Post by danniellahill »

ive tried the installer lots of times now :( still getting nothing T^T

i really dont get it :/ ive never had this problem before. i tried both 32bit ant 64bit. the 64bit isnt supported on here unfortunatly but the 32 version keeps giving me that same error :(

*EDIT*

sorted the problem out, i needed to get a another version of python xD thanks for the help ^^
Oyikell

Post by Oyikell »

Maybe is a python problem, my advice would be: install the latest version y python (I think it's 3.2). Maybe that'll help you.
danniellahill

Post by danniellahill »

Oyikell wrote:Maybe is a python problem, my advice would be: install the latest version y python (I think it's 3.2). Maybe that'll help you.
yes i realised it was a python problem lol what happens is basically if i have the version of python that is for 2.49b and the newer one in the folder then it makes the error, but if i move the older python version out of that folder then it works without any problems. its a bit of a pain, but its better than nothing haha