A slight issue with a meshmod.

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Unused Chesspiece

A slight issue with a meshmod.

Post by Unused Chesspiece »

OK, so I went about making myself a meshmod using xps itself. The process went fairly well for the most part, as seen here.

well, except for one small issue. The original body looks like this.

Somehow, I lost the light map of the original body. It's still in the folder I saved the mesh to, but the model isn't using it for some reason. My question/s are this: Where did I go wrong in the process? And how do I get that light map back?
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: A slight issue with a meshmod.

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I'll defer to anyone w/ more knowledge of XPS than myself, but ultimately Blender modding will supercede capabilities of XPS (for now). May not have done anything wrong, depends on wither or not XPS properly applies materials.
Unused Chesspiece

That's...... a shame, since blender requires one to have a full philosophical understanding of Sun Tzu's Art of War just to move the damn camera.
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Unused Chesspiece wrote:That's...... a shame, since blender requires one to have a full philosophical understanding of Sun Tzu's Art of War just to move the damn camera.
:lol: Good comparison...

It's actually not that bad though. It just takes some patience and gumption, but once mastered the sky is the limit for modding. :)
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

I don't really consider XPS as a modding tool (...enter XNAaral or Anx in 3..2..1..) so I avoid doing anything major with it other than converting some port for me to mod with blender.

I'm not even sure if your lightmap is the issue here. From what I see the meshmod looks fine.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Unused Chesspiece

thePWA wrote:I don't really consider XPS as a modding tool (...enter XNAaral or Anx in 3..2..1..) so I avoid doing anything major with it other than converting some port for me to mod with blender.

I'm not even sure if your lightmap is the issue here. From what I see the meshmod looks fine.
You're right. It's not the light map that's the issue, rather it's the specular map that isn't showing on the model.
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Had a thought. Once you have your model modified in XPS, you could try exporting the generic.mesh.ascii file and editing it in text. You may want to compare the file group & textures of your original generic_item.mesh.ascii to the new one. The rendering group or file path of the specular map may be different and could possibly be editing to put it back in.

Apologies for the technical explanation since it may require some reading up on TRF's tutorials, but it would be easier to do this than to tackle Blender.
Unused Chesspiece

You mean via notepad? to be honest, I wouldn't even know what I'm looking for. Still, it's worth a shot if it means avoiding blender.
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

Unused Chesspiece wrote:You mean via notepad? to be honest, I wouldn't even know what I'm looking for. Still, it's worth a shot if it means avoiding blender.
You're missing a lot if you keep avoiding blender LOL

Anyways... try to search for something like "23_mesh*_1_0_0" where mesh* is some random name. You should come up with something like this...

23_Material53_0.4_0_0
1 # uv layers
7 # textures

then 7 blah blahs which are paths for the textures. Last path should be your specular map which should look something like this...

name.tga*
0 # uv layer index

where name.tga* is your texture. Make sure its the right texture.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Unused Chesspiece

thePWA wrote:
Unused Chesspiece wrote:You mean via notepad? to be honest, I wouldn't even know what I'm looking for. Still, it's worth a shot if it means avoiding blender.
You're missing a lot if you keep avoiding blender LOL

Anyways... try to search for something like "23_mesh*_1_0_0" where mesh* is some random name. You should come up with something like this...

23_Material53_0.4_0_0
1 # uv layers
7 # textures

then 7 blah blahs which are paths for the textures. Last path should be your specular map which should look something like this...

name.tga*
0 # uv layer index

where name.tga* is your texture. Make sure its the right texture.
Found all that stuff, compared it to the original models, etc, etc..... so it all checked out, and I still couldn't work out where I went wrong. So I did the whole thing from scratch, and now I have my specular map back. I musta messed up somewhere with how I was saving the model, but no matter......