How much did your XNALara skills improve?

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: How much did your XNALara skills improve?

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Arch-vile wrote:@Proto: For you first mod that's really nice looking!

This was the second picture I made. I tinkered around with the lighting and bloom longer than I worked on the poses. :lol:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/ ... 5laice.jpg
I was pretty happy with this one.
Thanks, I was on a mission with that idea. Daz and XNAaraL were a big help with teaching. :)

I believe that. I've done that before too. Lighting can really make or break a cool concept sometimes. The glow/bloom adds a lot to yours. Now it looks awesome, I'm sure w/out the lighting it'd be pretty flat. 8-)
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Ok, these were the ones I first uploaded to dA back in April 2012:

While not my latest work, I consider this my best render so far:

EDIT: my most technically-challenging pose:

And what I consider my best XNALara/XPS only based render:

If you're curious as what my very first pose is I can probably edit parts that wouldn't be allowed here he he he.... :ggl:
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

^^ Both New & Old look pretty good, :high:
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

ProtocolX27 wrote:^^ Both New & Old look pretty good, :high:
Thank you! :D It's easier for me now but back then I was dealing with a severe case of OCD giving the models natural-looking poses and not knowing what to do and where things go, etc. :D

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I guess in terms of posing... Practice makes polished.... instead of ... Lack of practice makes pointy... :lol:

We need a collective image demonstrating all of our pet peeves / things before we learned them, :XD:
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

ProtocolX27 wrote:I guess in terms of posing... Practice makes polished.... instead of ... Lack of practice makes pointy... :lol:

We need a collective image demonstrating all of our pet peeves / things before we learned them, :XD:
:lol: I admit that one of my biggest pet peeves back then was porters hiding 'em precious twist/adjuster bones. I probably have offended some people at TRF who are here now because I started asking for them (not in a demanding way like that sharing is caring gal, lol) and that gave them more work to do. :lol:

If you want natural looking poses IMO they are absolutely necessary. All one has to do is look at his/her limbs and look at the way they move. From there you'll have a clue how to pose 3D models naturally, at least ones that are armature based in my case.

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Is that the deal with the 'ctrl' bones? I noticed that at least in Daz's latest releases. I didn't know the difference in being something missing or specific to newer DOA models, :XD:

Agreed, I at point accepted that there were limitations to posing, but I agree those restrictions can sometimes impair the natural look to everything.
Arch-vile
Custom Rank: Negative Creep

Post by Arch-vile »

@Marv: The Iron Man and SC V pics look really great! I remember seeing Nina and Anna when I first started using xnalara back in July.

@Proto: So true, lighting is very important.

I guess my biggest pet peeve was and still is long skirts and hair. They're a pain in my @$$! :lol:
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

ProtocolX27 wrote:Is that the deal with the 'ctrl' bones? I noticed that at least in Daz's latest releases. I didn't know the difference in being something missing or specific to newer DOA models, :XD:

Agreed, I at point accepted that there were limitations to posing, but I agree those restrictions can sometimes impair the natural look to everything.
Pretty much. I notice that a lot of people on dA don't know how to properly pose shoulders and hands. When you twist your wrist, you don't twist it from where it's connected to your forearm, you twist your entire forearm and the wrist goes with it. :) Your wrist can move in 4 directions but it doesn't twist, your forearm does. :D

EDIT: Thanks, Mike! :D These were very time consuming for me to do so I appreciate the fact that people do appreciate them. To this day my Maxfactory figure Samus pose is my most popular even though it's not a natural looking pose due to the lack of control bones. Now that I've added it back to Uncle rexil's old release, I've updated it (though not released) and made it look more like the action figure pose. I'm still working on the model but I will re-release it hopefully soon. :D

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Arch-vile wrote: @Proto: So true, lighting is very important.

I guess my biggest pet peeve was and still is long skirts and hair. They're a pain in my @$$! :lol:
Truth
iheartibuki wrote:
Pretty much. I notice that a lot of people on dA don't know how to properly pose shoulders and hands. When you twist your wrist, you don't twist it from where it's connected to your forearm, you twist your entire forearm and the wrist goes with it. :) Your wrist can move in 4 directions but it doesn't twist, your forearm does. :D
Good point, I notice hand stuff a lot, the other thing is usually legs especially kicks basically for the same reasons you mentioned. Waist, hips, thighs all need to be adjusted the right way, sometimes the mesh isn't forgiving of what it should be able to do in extreme cases. :XD: