Blender Inquiries (Dahell does this mean?)

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Blender Inquiries (Dahell does this mean?)

Post by iheartibuki »

Resurrecting this thread in the name of... internal geometry.

So Josh was nice enough to send me a model but she has a scarf that has faces and vertices inside the main mesh. Common sense tells me to dissect the mesh so I can see the internals while taking advantage of background occlusion and delete those. However, I'd like to know if there's an easier, quicker way of removing these internal faces/vertices without having to do this. The mesh is fairly small but I reckon it'd still be messy deleting them vertices/faces one by one especially you might end up with a few holes in the main mesh. Any words of wisdom is welcome! Thanks! :)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

FigureSculptor

Re: Blender Inquiries (Dahell does this mean?)

Post by FigureSculptor »

By "internal", what exactly do you mean? Are they completely inside the main mesh, or are they stray faces fairly close to the mess?

There's a couple of possibilities for quickly getting rid of them, but hard to say which will work with what I know now. I find that I almost always remove doubles my my meshes, but with a very small distance. Sometimes this doesn't work and I have to undo (render to check), but usually, it melds the seems and gets rid of true vert dupes. After that, here are two possible approaches:

Try ctrl-alt-shift-M in edit mode (vert selection) with no verts selected. That will highlight all the non-manifold vertices (those that contribute to the mesh not being watertight). That should include all the stray faces. Deselect any valid vertices (like around the seams between parts of the model), then delete.

Similarly, if the main mesh is fairly solid, just move your mouse around over various vertices of the "good" parts of the model, pressing L as you move over valid vertices. That will select all linked vertices. Periodically hide the "good" vertices until only the bad ones are left, then select all and delete.

Another possibility - try selecting by vertex group or material to find which vert groups and materials include the stray faces. Once you figure that, select that group or material, hide non-selected vertices (shift-H). That might leave you with the bad vertices and a smaller number of good ones to get rid of before deleting.

Can't think of anything else, but if you post a pic, I might be able to come up with other suggestions.