Blender General Questions

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: Blender General Questions

Post by semory »

oh, vertices not connected to a mesh. for games it's common to use one vertex buffer and have multiple meshes that use that buffer. currently i'm just copying the entire vertex and index buffers for each mesh but it oftentimes leave a ton of stray points. it can be fixed easily in Blender using Clean Mesh plugin, but anything I myself have come up with involves iterating through the entire index buffer, finding out which vertices are unused, creating another vertex and index buffer and an extra dictionary/array that maps old indices to new ones, etc. etc. was hoping you'd say something like, "use the DeleteVertex function stupid :D ha ha ha hahahaha."
FigureSculptor

Post by FigureSculptor »

semory wrote:was hoping you'd say something like, "use the DeleteVertex function stupid :D ha ha ha hahahaha."
Nope, not that I know of. MeshLab has this type of functionality - I think they call it something like "Delete stray vertices" or some such, and there's also something like "delete zero area faces" or some such. It's got a lot of good stuff for fixing and repairing meshes. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to export to MeshLab and back to Blender without losing vertex groups.

The types of vertices you describe ehould be non-manifold vertices, though, so the method I described earlier might work: make sure no vertices are selected, press ctrl-opt-shift-M, then de-select ones you want to keep, then X to delete. Many game meshes are manifold except at certain seams (though some are just a mess :( ). Probably want to remove duplicates with a 0.00 tolerance before doing that.

Otherwise, nope, don't know of a magic button for that. :)
FigureSculptor

Post by FigureSculptor »

So, I stumbled upon this feature today - "Select Loose Verts/Edges". Sounds like what you were asking about. I don't know if 2.49b has it, but it's in the Select menu of the 3D view in edit mode in the current 2.6 version.
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Anyone ran into a situation in which hitting 'Tab' to switch to Edit mode on an armature would cause Blender 2.49 to crash? :?
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Sometimes Blender does crash when going into edit mode on armatures. I dunno why... it just does xD
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

TRDaz wrote:Sometimes Blender does crash when going into edit mode on armatures. I dunno why... it just does xD
Is there a work around, it seems to do it consistently on some models, but not at all on others. I'd rather not have to nuke bones and rebuild them in notepad, :-P
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

I dunno, I think there is a reason it is doing it but I cant remember why D:
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Runa

Post by Runa »

That crash happened to me three or four times. Annoying XD

Anyway, too lazy to read all the previous messages... so sorry if this has beek asked already:

"Change bones number from 95 to 90"

This is what the GeMeshAsciiToBin tells me after I export a .mesh.ascii from blender. No error messages into the program though... what can I do? D:
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Haven't seen that one. Have you tried the other exporter without the 'Ge' prefix? I don't fully know what the difference between GeMeshAsciiToBin and MeshAsciiToBin are...
raidergale
Porter
Custom Rank: Marie's my waifu kthx

Post by raidergale »

It's completely normal, the Blender exporter screws up the bones number in the mesh.ascii, so you would normally have to change that by manually counting the number of bones with notepad... GeMeshAscii does that automatically :P