Steven's Gas Machine

Release and comment on game extractors and other tools here.

Moderators: Dazzy, semory

sillyperson3

Re: Steven's Gas Machine

Post by sillyperson3 »

semory, thank you for the quick reply. In the past hour or so I've been reading this thread as well as another thread you give a tutorial on ( viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1182#p71552 ) what it takes to make this work...

So, here's what I believe to be true now.

The models from Dragon Quest Heroes can be extracted, but like all Dynasty Warrior games, the models do not come out perfect due to hair/cloth/physics. So, you have to "fix them" manually using your own 3D Rendering Software.

To get the models from Dragon Quest Heroes, I need the following:

*The current version of Steven's Gas Machine (2015-03-31) found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o4ad1 ... -03-31.rar
*A file for Steven's Gas Machine to open/extract.

In your tutorial you mention a PKG file. I'm guessing I need to somehow obtain a PKG file for Dragon Quest Heroes yes?

Thank you for being so polite and actually having useful information available. Most people who make tools are stuck up, but you're the man!

I hate to sound asky, but if someone already has a ripped model of Maya/Manya (like an obj file) and could post it I'd be so happy. I've used 3D Rendering software before like Blender so maybe I can re-constructor her. She's pretty :)
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

let me see if i have game on my drive or not... but yes, you need to DL the game. easy way is to get a direct link. not sure if i still have link to game.
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

I PM'd you a link. Then follow directions given by the Gas Machine program after you select the game.
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

So I gave it a whirl with the Dragon Quest *Heroes* (keep calling it 'warriors') models. It seems like it imports okay but I run into a couple issues. After assigning textures to the meshes, parenting the meshes to the armature and exporting.

On exporting I get a bunch of "skipping mesh surface...no material" messages (I assigned textures...)
On trying to import that same model or if I simply load the mesh, export the mesh without doing anything, and import that then I get this message

Any ideas on how to fix?

Edit: Also, I'm not sure if it's just blender being goofy or not but it doesn't seem like the bone weights work with the skeleton. I checked and there are definitely weights on the meshes for bones. They just don't work. Though I should mention I've had goofy issues with bones not working right until I exported the model and reimported.
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

parent meshes to skeleton, select skeleton, select "vertex groups."

mesh ascii export error is due to material being associated with mesh object. you must change so it is associated with mesh data rather than object. exporter is picky about that. look up "Me" versus "Ob."
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Wow, thanks for the fast reply (guessing you were already around :D ). Adding that to my personal notes for modeling. The skeleton works now (I'm guessing that was also an issue with other models I played around with) and I'm reading up on the mesh/object.

Edit: I read up and everything is working fine now.

Edit2: Not all the models export correctly into .smc files. Many wind up having a size of 1kb (obviously too small). Looking at the textures shows them to be full models though. Jessica (DQ8) doesn't export properly for example. Unless, of course, the correct model is in one of the other 2000ish folders and I've only gone through a hundred or so :P
rballad
Custom Rank: Om Donal

Post by rballad »

look for textures first. you can look each texture folder manually one by one. alternatively you can go the easy by searching on folder search box, type 001.dds with >1 mb size option. Using this method you can see list of textures. Then you have to determine the folders order. for example if character textures folders are from 678 t to 714 t and 678 t is yangus and 689 t is jessica, jessica's mesh folder will also be in the eleventh folder after yangus' mesh folder. for example if 300 is yangus's mesh that means jessica' is in folder 311.
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

it is in another file. if you look at corresponding g1m file, you will see it is also small. pori noticed this too a month or two back. the devs of this game have no clue how to use the dw engine lol.
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

btw auto texture is supported for dw games. put smc and textures in same folder. then create a blend file and save it in same folder as well. then run smc plugin. diffuse textures should load.
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Lol, what a weird way to handle models. Thanks for letting me know. I was having nightmares of spending upwards of an hour extracting the game over and over again to see if changes to the 'Gas Machine' fixed the (nonexistant) issue.

Speaking of issues, are the collapsed meshes something that can't be fixed through the program? I only ask because it's the same issue with the Hyrule Warriors models and the guy(s?) that worked on that tool never did fix it (or just lost interest).