Blender General Questions

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Blender General Questions

Post by iheartibuki »

Hmmm, all I can think of is separating faces especially if they're double sided and you'll most likely have to do that manually, I'm afraid. Go to edit mode, deselect the model, turn on face selection and occlude background geometry so you don't see faces on the other side. Maybe post a pic or the model here? :?
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Runa

Post by Runa »

Uhm, you mean not just separate the mesh parts, but select the model face per face and separate those? :?

Btw, for some reason, the model now works in XPS. I reloaded it in blender and... puff, magic, I don't know what happened lol.

However it's not the first time I get this error... the same thing happened with other similar stuff before. I am attaching the picture of the model I just exported. AC3 (as well as the other ACs) use HQ meshes for the cutscenes, parts that I of course use for the XPS models since they are way better and high poly. I suppose that is the reason why sometimes it can't load the models? They are too HQ? This only happens with OBJs it seems...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

I meant if you have a model that have faces facing in forward and back and they're stuck together you can separate those, either using selection (B in edit mode) or manually selecting the faces. I don't think that's got something to do with having a lot of faces though or having a high poly model, I see a lot of peeps porting Daz models to XPS and they're supposed to be commercial products. :pi: if they're objects then I dunno, I've only had to deal with objs a few times and didn't like them as you can't use render groups on them. But glad that got sorted out.

Runa

Post by Runa »

Ah I see, makes sense I think!
Yeah I am actually surprised as well, especially considering that many XPS models (such as the Tomb Raider ones) have so many polygons and yet XPS has no problems in loading them. When I first extracted this model in OBJ and tried to load it in XPS, the program said the number of faces was incorrect, I don't know if it meant there were too many or something else. Exporting it in .mesh.ascii worked, but then all the UVs were broken and meh. At least now I know that I can always try to reload the exported file in blender and try to export it all over again, being sure that everyghing is working fine...

Thanks for the suggestion, btw.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

Hmmm, ya that's weird. Never had that problem to be honest. Sometimes XPS can be picky, normal maps can appear crap sometimes and when you load it back into Blender and spit it out they look fine, lol. NP! :D

rballad
Custom Rank: Om Donal

Post by rballad »

hi, i followed a lightmap tutorial from this link
http://xxximnotokayxxx.deviantart.com/a ... -201491894
when i open the model i xnalara, the part whose lightmap i edited appeared all black. when i try to open the new lightmap in paint.net there is "unspecified error" warning and i cant open it. i cant open the new lightmap in noesis, correl draw, and acd see photomanager 2009 due to unknown file format error
PoophairJones
Custom Rank: Baebsae

Post by PoophairJones »

When you bake the lightmap in blender make sure to specify a file extension^^ Usually it does that on default but when a model has .dds textures and you bake over them blender does not save them properly. Usually .tga or .png works, maybe the other extensions too but i didn't test them yet =)
rballad
Custom Rank: Om Donal

Post by rballad »

Thanks, i will try it
Runa

Post by Runa »

rballad wrote:hi, i followed a lightmap tutorial from this link
http://xxximnotokayxxx.deviantart.com/a ... -201491894
when i open the model i xnalara, the part whose lightmap i edited appeared all black. when i try to open the new lightmap in paint.net there is "unspecified error" warning and i cant open it. i cant open the new lightmap in noesis, correl draw, and acd see photomanager 2009 due to unknown file format error
Might be just a format error, but usually black lightmaps appear like that for two reasons:

1) They are already black after the bake because the UVs are not placed correctly on the texture
2) XNALara/XPS doesn't like too bright colors. Lightmaps ALWAYS need to be edited before the final load or else they will present black dots here and there, or might even be all dark. Lowering the brightness in Photoshop or Gimp should fix the issue, -1 or -2 values are enough.

But anyway, usually I use .tga or .png format for the lightmaps. I met a similar problem with the ones saves in .dds... I couldn't even open them in Photoshop.

Yeah I know I'm a bit late answering this, but who knows, might turn out useful for someone :P
Mystie
Custom Rank: New to XNA Porting

Post by Mystie »

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but...

I just downloaded Blender 2.49b, since it's the only version of Blender that has an export script for XNA. Unfortunately, the XNA import/export scripts are not showing up whenever I go to "File > Import" or "File > Export", and going to User Preferences doesn't seem to have anything helpful. Why is this?
I'm a n00b to model ripping/porting.

View my ripped models here: http://www.models-resource.com/submitter/Mystie/