Attaching/linking problem

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Runa

Attaching/linking problem

Post by Runa »

Well, this is not Blender related, but more a general problem. I use 3ds max for models and mods, anyway I noticed this issue even when I tried to fix it in Blender.
I usually have no problems attaching items/objects/whatever to a model, because when I link a bone to another bone, XNALara loads the modification with no troubles. However, if it happens that I have something to apply and this something has no bones at all, XNALara loads everything but keeps the additional mesh detached from the character.

I'm gonna explain what I'm actually trying to do.

As many of you already know, I often work on models from Blade&Soul. This game has different races: Jin, Gon, Kun and Lyn and the Gon face mesh has some problems. While the other heads load with normal lashes and such, the Gon one has blocky eyelashes and requires a different kind of texture.
In the files there is another headmesh with normal lashes, but this head has no functional bones... So, I want to remove the blocky lashes from the main head and replace them with the normal ones from the other mesh.
As I said the lashes appear as a single object and without any bone, so I have to select the whole part and link it to the head bone. This is what happens:

In max, if I turn the head everything works fine. Lashes move together with the rest, just like I needed.

But yeah. As you can see in XNALara the situation is way different. The lashes stay firm at their original place and don't move with the head.

I was wondering, is there a functional way to attach an object if it has no bones? Or do I need at least one bone in order to make it work in XNALara? :?
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Re: Attaching/linking problem

Post by Dazzy »

So you move the head and the eyelashes wont move? You need to add a vertex group to the eyelashes meshes, click on the head bone, click on the eyelashes and go to Weight Paint, then you just need to paint the whole eyelash mesh red and boom! It will be moveable with the head ^^ This was all in Blender btw xD
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Runa

Post by Runa »

Uhm, it doesn't even load the file XD gives me an error. Probably I need to apply a body first...
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

Wierd. Try adding the body first ^^
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Runa

Post by Runa »

Nyah :3 I added a body and hair, Blender loaded without problems and the weights paint is the right solution. I don't know why I didn't think about it before, maybe because when I try that a long time ago with a different object, it didn't work.
Oh well, looks like it's solved now. Thank you Daz :hug:
Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

You're welcome :hug2: