Re: iheartibuki's n00b WIP

Post by semory »

This is how far I am lol.

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

^ Nice model, is she hiding in layer 2 by any chance? :lol:

Anyway, bone weight copying doesn't seem to work for me. After copying weights from model.001 to all the 19 other meshes, I pose the skeleton and only the SMD mesh moves. I assume I'm missing something here, like dissociating the armature from the SMD mesh and associating the 19 other meshes with it. But I thought that was what bone weight copying was supposed to do. :?

EDIT: Nevermind, had to make the armature the parent of the obj files. :)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Nice work iheartibuki! :D Remember, delete the smd mesh when exporting, that aint needed anymore xD I usually dont parent the armature to the mesh, just export and open in XNA when everything is set up correctly, I know that the weights would be perfect anyway :D LOL, Steve... I love your work <3 xD
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

Thanks TRDaz! Yes, I've deleted the SMD mesh. I parented the meshes to the armature since a lot of the SF4 examples from you, KSE25 and rexil have movable meshes when imported into Blender. So you're saying the meshes will move along with the armature once in XNALara even though they were not parented? Interestingly enough, I generated the .mesh.ascii file then renamed the mesh groups to conform to the render groups (example 5_eyes). I also changed the texture number to 1 (since I just wanted to test the diffuse material) then listed the texture file name. I also made sure that the number of occurrences of the word "parent" is the same as the bone count in the beginning of the file. Well, after running it through gemeshasciitobin.exe it just crashed. :lol: Dunno, maybe because I reparented the meshes to the armature?

Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

iheartibuki wrote:Thanks TRDaz! Yes, I've deleted the SMD mesh. I parented the meshes to the armature since a lot of the SF4 examples from you, KSE25 and rexil have movable meshes when imported into Blender. So you're saying the meshes will move along with the armature once in XNALara even though they were not parented? Interestingly enough, I generated the .mesh.ascii file then renamed the mesh groups to conform to the render groups (example 5_eyes). I also changed the texture number to 1 (since I just wanted to test the diffuse material) then listed the texture file name. I also made sure that the number of occurrences of the word "parent" is the same as the bone count in the beginning of the file. Well, after running it through gemeshasciitobin.exe it just crashed. :lol: Dunno, maybe because I reparented the meshes to the armature?
The meshes would have reparented itself to the armature anyway once you export it xD The reason of the error is wierd.... reparenting the meshes doesnt cause any problem D:
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

Well, I do have back up files of earlier progress so I just went back in there, did the bone weight copying again, and left the parenting to the armature out. I looked at some of your files again, followed the "patterns", and this is what I have now (just using the 5 render group for now): :)

Ya there are still some mistakes, but I just wanted to test how it worked in XNA. His eyelids also move weird, and I don't think there's anything I can really do about them. I remember rexil saying something about splitting meshes near the eyelids though I don't think I'm ready for that yet. :P

The other weird thing that happened was when Dan's SMD mesh imported, he was actually facing back. I rotated both the mesh and armature by 180 degrees, as well as the separated meshes. But when I exported them, the bones went back to the original orientation while the meshes were rotated 180 degrees. I had to rotate everything back to the original import position and that's how I got to pose the model in the pic.

Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

iheartibuki wrote:Well, I do have back up files of earlier progress so I just went back in there, did the bone weight copying again, and left the parenting to the armature out. I looked at some of your files again, followed the "patterns", and this is what I have now (just using the 5 render group for now): :)

Ya there are still some mistakes, but I just wanted to test how it worked in XNA. His eyelids also move weird, and I don't think there's anything I can really do about them. I remember rexil saying something about splitting meshes near the eyelids though I don't think I'm ready for that yet. :P

The other weird thing that happened was when Dan's SMD mesh imported, he was actually facing back. I rotated both the mesh and armature by 180 degrees, as well as the separated meshes. But when I exported them, the bones went back to the original orientation while the meshes were rotated 180 degrees. I had to rotate everything back to the original import position and that's how I got to pose the model in the pic.
Nice! You did it! I have never had problems with the eyelids, and the splitting meshes near the eyelids is for rigging, your too early in the porting to worry about rigging or weight fixing, thats advanced xD The reason for the rotation back is you must NOT rotate or move or scale or whatever the armature in object mode. ALWAYS go into edit mode (TAB Button) and THEN do it :) I know you wouldnt know that due to you just starting out :D
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

^ LOL, thanks! Couldn't have done it without your help. :hug: The weird thing about the eyelids is that moving the lower eyelid moves both lower and upper, same for the upper eyelid which doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe there's a "morph" bone somewhere similar to the smile control that allows you to control the eyes better, but we'll see. Renaming the bones is gonna be reaaaalllllyyyy ffffuuuunnnn!!! *sarcasm*.

So I guess a few more things, like generating spec maps (which seems to be just a darker gray scale version of the diffuse), light maps (have to research this one though I think you can extract the native AO maps from the OBJ.emo files), maybe some mini bumps (iheartibuki, you're getting too ambitious here!!!), adding the rest of the materials, bone renaming, then X-flipping (with bone side switching of course). Then Dan will be ready to take over the XNA universe, Saikyo style! :lol:

Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

iheartibuki wrote:^ LOL, thanks! Couldn't have done it without your help. :hug: The weird thing about the eyelids is that moving the lower eyelid moves both lower and upper, same for the upper eyelid which doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe there's a "morph" bone somewhere similar to the smile control that allows you to control the eyes better, but we'll see. Renaming the bones is gonna be reaaaalllllyyyy ffffuuuunnnn!!! *sarcasm*.

So I guess a few more things, like generating spec maps (which seems to be just a darker gray scale version of the diffuse), light maps (have to research this one though I think you can extract the native AO maps from the OBJ.emo files), maybe some mini bumps (iheartibuki, you're getting too ambitious here!!!), adding the rest of the materials, bone renaming, then X-flipping (with bone side switching of course). Then Dan will be ready to take over the XNA universe, Saikyo style! :lol:
Welcome :hug: Weird. Wait, that might mean that the lower and upper bones are parented... everything on the face should be parented to the head neck upper bone. LOL! Renaming bones is annoying until you get used to it xD

Spec maps are like desaturated maps with decreased brightness ^^ Dont get the AO maps from the OBJ.emo, I got em and all it is, is a flat ao map (plain white), the shadows in SF4 Explorer are from the shading xD I dont use mini bumps, sometimes you cant find ones that fit xD I never X-Flip xD
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

TRDaz wrote: Welcome :hug: Weird. Wait, that might mean that the lower and upper bones are parented... everything on the face should be parented to the head neck upper bone. LOL! Renaming bones is annoying until you get used to it xD

Spec maps are like desaturated maps with decreased brightness ^^ Dont get the AO maps from the OBJ.emo, I got em and all it is, is a flat ao map (plain white), the shadows in SF4 Explorer are from the shading xD I dont use mini bumps, sometimes you cant find ones that fit xD I never X-Flip xD
LOL, that'd be weird as I didn't reparent any bones. Maybe it was like that from the get go? Hope me rotating the meshes 180 degrees didn't have anything to do with that. :shock:

Ok, I'll keep those in mind (spec maps and light maps) and will also check on the eyelids. I can probably use the minibumps used on Akuma or Ryu, will use different rendering groups, of course. :D

EDIT: Tried rotating the armature on the Z axis in edit mode, seems to have a different pivot point no matter what I do, so I'll leave it like it is and do the "flipping" in XNALara, LOL!